Tuesday, August 21, 2007

To Ma'am or not to Ma'am...that *is* the question?

This is something that's been niggling at the back of my mind for a long while now.

The "Ma'am" issue.

I'm 29. Moreover, I have a very young face and could easily pass for 20 most days.

I have been getting Ma'ammed since I was 17. By people who were OLDER than me!!!!!

It rankles me. It makes me think "what could possibly be going through their minds to make them think that Ma'am is an age appropriate moniker for tiny baby-faced me?!!?!?!?"

Some might say that it's a sign of respect but, with few exceptions, I don't buy that because it's just so obvious when you look at me that I'm *not* a "Ma'am" that any intended respect is negated by the misuse of the term!!

But then I think of the alternatives:

"Miss" wouldn't work. My inner feminist Wellesley-woman would feel more than a bit patronized.

"Ms." is just silly....trying to get someone to address you as just "Ms." and force them to pronounce the "sssszzzzz" sound would just make everyone giggle. Me included.

So then, what is left?

Hmmmm.....

Oooh, I know!!

From now on, I will insist on being greeted with "Hey, Laaaaaady!!!!!"

Jerry Lewis impersonation required.

3 comments:

Paul Ferrari said...

This is my first comment -- I audibly laughed at "oh the Dramaturgy."

You know, I used to live with someone who insisted on calling people ma'am.

Keep updating!

... Will respond to your email soon.

Paul Ferrari said...

*emails

Anonymous said...

People should read this.